Saturday 17 January 2015

Sewing Obsession

In an attempt to skirt around the pressures of maintaining a svelte size 10 dress size, I’m re-engineering my wardrobe around me-made makes. Because pattern sizes vary across pattern manufacturers I’m experiencing the sense of freedom that comes without the attachment to a dress size!

I stopped running a while ago and started to pile on the weight and whilst I have a wardrobe of beautiful RTW clothes, they are all now a couple of sizes too small. At the moment my work/life routine dictates that running (or any form of exercise) is difficult to fit in so it's been easier to sew for relaxation in an evening and on a weekend whilst at the same time, functionally creating clothes that actually fit me.

I'm enjoying it so much I've become a little obsessive about it and now rarely go a week without finishing a new make. I'm by far an expert, my finish leaves a lot to be desired and I don't have a lot of confidence in carrying out techniques but I am finding the various sewing bloggers sew-alongs and tutorials an amazing help. I have a thirst for getting better, at dressmaking in general,at improving my finish, at pushing the boundaries on techniques and at dressing myself better.

My biggest problem areas are with pattern adjustment - it scares the bejesus out of me! I can cope with minor adjustments such as reducing shoulder widths, lengthening and shortening but anything beyond that I'm stuffed! I'd also like to have a go at basic pattern drafting but I'm a way off this yet I think.

I'll be using the blog to record my sewing progress, so please feel free to share thoughts and, in particular, improvements on technique,I'll embrace them with open arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment